Updated on June 12, 2021
Looking for volunteers for the first edition of the M.A.R.E. Supporting Team
Thanks to a strategic partnership with the Italian National Agency, our organization is offering the opportunity to take part in the FIRST edition of the M.A.R.E Supporting Team: a short term ESC (2 months: August 16th – October 7th) at the Marine Protected Area of Punta Campanella (Massa Lubrense NA), that will host 15 volunteers from Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, Croatia, Latvia.
M.A.R.E. family is a big community made of more than 50 volunteers from more than 10 different countries that have reached the project during the last 8 years. Now we are ready to open the doors of MARE world for those who are interested!
Project M.A.R.E. represents a unique experience in collaboration with the PUNTA CAMPANELLA Marine Protected Area (since this year), to support marine conservation programs based on initiatives to reduce human impacts on natural resources.
Volunteers will work to spread awareness about the richness of marine ecosystems, to promote ecotourism, to stop anchoring and pollution, to clean up beaches and the sea, working side by side with operators of the Marine Protected Area and many local organizations that follow the same path of sustainable development.
During the last 8 years of activities (from 2013 until today) volunteers have participated in many local initiatives, international meetings, and conferences, and they have achieved many results in terms of support to the Park and personal development.
This life-changing experience has a powerful input to make people realize what’s the interaction between humans and ecological systems, and this helps a lot to understand the direction to take along their lives.
Punta Campanella MPA is located at the two edges of the Gulf of Naples and they represent the most natural sites within this basin.
This territory is made of mountains that fall into the sea. Due to its location in the Naples region, it is characterized to be a preferred destination for luxury and mass tourism. The Marine Parks are also protecting natural places like Ieranto bay, where there are signs of old civilizations that make these natural places still more fascinating and mysterious.
The continuous exploitation of these coastal areas led to a need for reinforcement of marine conservancy and therefore, the Marine Protect Areas were created within the last 25 years. Due to the difficult access by land and their transparent waters, these areas are the perfect spot for boats and yachts to stop and anchor during holiday periods. This leads to a big threat for marine life, especially Posidonia oceanica and hard substrate communities (made of encrusting sponges and algae, the so-called coralligenous community).
Since its foundation, the MPA is carrying out many summer initiatives to reduce the impact of mass tourism (between June and September) and to let people enjoy the Park in a sustainable way. Monitoring, ecotourism, and conservation are the keywords to have a balanced usage of marine resources, and volunteers have an important role in helping these operations.
We are looking for 15 volunteers (short term (50 days)) that are able to work with different levels of organization:
- The project team, made of a group of volunteers from different countries, cultures, backgrounds + a coordinator + a mentor
- Park team, made of biologists, educators, mariners, divers, park guards
- Networking with local organizations (Foundations, Associations, Parks, People) that work for the same cause.
Volunteers should be open-minded, curious, tolerant with a positive attitude, and willing to learn. We would like to host people with special interest and love for nature, ocean, marine conservation, education, outdoor activities, to involve in a wonderful dream made in an international environment.
Volunteers will support the park initiatives with a 30 to 40 hours/week commitment (6-8h/day). They will enjoy 2 Weekly free days (not weekend free days during summertime). They will also enjoy 2 monthly free days, to travel across this wonderful country, or just to relax.
The schedule is following these steps:
|Description||MARE supporting team|
|TRAINING and ORIENTEERING||Introduction to the territory, Italian language, marine resources, outdoor activities, active communication, park rules, marine conservation.||1st week 16-20 August|
|INTO THE BLUE||A non-stop engagement in marine activities, during which everybody will be following a different schedule with different free days in order to cover a full week plan of initiatives.||2nd – 6th week 23 August-26 September|
|FEED BACK AND FINAL DAYS||During the fall season, volunteers will slow down activities, and concentrate more on the evaluation of everything that will be done along with the summertime. They’ll present their work in many different meetings, from the schools to the conferences, from the local environment to the international meetings.||7th week and final days 27 September – 7 October|
The SCHEDULE could undergo changes according with COVID emergency restrictions!
The Marine Parks are working on the activities that are listed below. According to the period of the year, volunteers will be involved in one or more of them. They will be asked to take part in these initiatives with a positive mood, active collaboration, using English and Italian languages.
- Marine Conservation – to reduce human impacts on nature through reducing illegal activities, making people aware of the protected marine resources of the Park
- Environmental Monitoring – to collect information about abiotic, biotic and human factors in the area of the park
- Info & Awareness – to educate people about park rules and threats to marine resources
- Outdoor Adventures – to meet nature face to face, and enjoy its power and energy
- Beach and Sea Cleanups– to slow down one of the biggest impacts we have on our oceans
- Intercultural Dialogue – to learn about different cultures, tolerance and diversity
- Ecotourism Promotion – to spread info and open the doors to eco-compatible interactions between humans and nature
SUPPORT FROM THE PROJECT
The project is a part of the EUROPEAN SOLIDARITY CORPS, and it is financed by the Italian National Agency. Thanks to these funds we can cover these expenses for volunteers:
- Round trip – to come here at the beginning of the project, and to return back to the hometown;
- Accommodation – a shared flat with other volunteers;
- Food Expenses – an amount of 150€ per month is guaranteed to volunteer to cover food expenses;
- Pocket Money – an amount of 150€ per month is guaranteed to volunteers for extra expenses;
- Training – several training sessions will be offered to volunteers in order to give them the best tools to support our work;
- Orienteering – the first step of the project is to become a local person, trying to orienteer in the new town, understanding also the geography of the Peninsula and the province of Naples, to make you feel at home;
- Mentoring – volunteers will take part in weekly meetings with a mentor to analyze the training process and the problems that they might face during the project.
If you are interested in this project, you are WELCOME to M.A.R.E. world!!
Check out our Facebook page and our blog to better understand who we are!
HOW TO APPLY: send an email to email@example.com with your Curriculum Vitae and a one-minute video presenting yourself and telling us why you should be selected.
DEADLINE: 15th of June 2021